Now on Twitter!

You can follow me now on twitter as well @kdpotter25

Thursday, August 22, 2013

When 3.5 feels like 5 and lots of other stuff!

Phew, just back from my Thursday morning run.  Today it was 3.5.  Oh man, Oh man was it pretty rough.  Somehow my body knows when 3 is up and it is a challenge to drag myself to 3.5.  I also went out a little fast considering the humidity and that the temperature was on its way to 80 already.

I have some things to chat about.

1) I have a new hydration belt.  It's an ifittness 16oz waist pack (two 8oz. bottles -one on each front hip) with a pouch for my phone and two loops that can hold gels.  I've used it twice now.  The first time I really fought it and was disappointed that it kept sliding up to where I did not think it should be.  Eventually during the run (Tues.) I just let it ride where it wanted to around my waist and it was just fine there and the gentle slosh noise of the water in the bottles was very zen.  I had also assumed that it needed to be against my tights because it has little silicone grab dots on the inside that keep in in place.  I had it awkwardly positioned under my top.  Not really the fashion statement I wanted to rock.  Today I started out with the belt high where it wanted to ride and over my shirt and it was fabulous.  Love it.  I used to just slip my phone in my bra between the girls and it was getting too sweaty and then I was putting it in a baggie first and that was irritating my sternum.  This is SO much better.  Also, I can't stand the slosh of water in a bottle held in my hand.  I really can't tell that the belt is around my waist.  It's very nicely balanced.  I haven't used the gel loops.  Gels brings us to #2

2)  I have been dabbling in mid-race fueling.  The "art" of eating, replenishing electrolytes, and hydrating while running.  I started with trying gummy bears (as simple carbs for my muscles), maybe about two weeks ago.  Maybe that sounds weird to eat gummy bears while running.  I thought so too, but thought it sounded like a nice cheap place to start.  Lets say, that I'm pretty sure it went badly.  Starting (probably the first time I tried to eat one) I started to have issues post-run.  This ranged from cramping pain, bloated feeling, to having to run to the bathroom.  (gasp for TMI)  I wasn't sure at first if this all just coincided with a little "bug" or if it was directly related to the gummy bears.  Then I read you need to not just eat simple carbs but also take in water with them or they will sit like a rock in your stomach and maybe go right through you -enter need for water on runs.  (see #1)  The water did  not seem to help.  Today I tried my run without gummy bears (water only) and I'm just fine.  However the run seemed really difficult without the carbs.  

3) So I ordered a variety pack of GU gels.  I'm really hoping they don't do the same thing as the gummy bears...  They have not arrived yet, but should before my long run on Sunday.  

4) I also ordered some Nuun tablets.  These are electrolyte drink mix tablets that you put into water.  They allow you to replenish electrolytes without carbohydrates -which I think for me will be a good thing considering the gummy bear debacle.  I'm a pretty salty sweater.  I'll tell you how that goes.  My plan is to have water in one 8oz bottle and Nuun in the other.  Then I just have to figure out the carb thing...

I know the reason my run was hard is because of Zumba last night.  I really push it, push it in that class.  I even got to "help" demonstrate the high impact moves last night because the instructor injured her foot!  Woot Woot! After a class like that Thursday morning comes really fast!  



SO
Does anyone use "fuel" -what do you use/do?
Hydration? 
Anyone else tried Nuun?  

Thanks for reading!!  Happy Thursday! 







1 comment:

  1. For energy on 5-6 mile runs (the longest I have done), I like Sport Beans made by Jelly Beans. They are way too salty to snack on, but perfect on a run. Keeps away that crashing, wiped out feeling at the end of a run.

    We had a rep from one of the hydration companies come to one of the group runs for our No Boundaries training. There was a pattern of making sure that you started with enough hydration (and emptying the bladder)which I have forgotten, but I remember him saying you should take sips of water every 20 minutes or so. If you wait until you are thirsty, you waited too long to drink. That seems to work for me.

    As far as Nuun goes, I can't stand the stuff. We had it after a longer run and I dumped mine out (carefully away from sales people). Might be good on a long, long run, but I will find something else to use, I think.

    Too bad you can't do the marathon training with Fleet Feet. One of the pieces of the training is trying out different kinds of hydration and fueling.

    Hope that info helps.You might try posting on Women's Running Community - WRC on Facebook. Those women know their stuff and are super encouraging. You will find out more about hydration and fueling if you post there!

    I'm sidelined with a neuroma at the moment, but even hearing about your running progress makes me feel better. Such progress you are making! Definitely inspiring.

    ReplyDelete