Now on Twitter!

You can follow me now on twitter as well @kdpotter25

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Good Ol' Hal Higdon. My Training Rock.

Diving In

Last week I performed a couple of "test" runs to see if my ankle is in fact healed enough for running.  I'm not technically "cleared" by my doctor to run, but before we realized I had a healing complication my Doc told me how to "test" my ankle for running.

Basically:  Run 5 minutes, wait 24 hours... pain or swelling?  

     If NO, then run 10 minutes, wait 24 hours... pain or swelling?

     If NO, just keep trying a little bit more and waiting at least 24 hours to observe the reaction in my ankle.

My test runs caused NO pain or swelling.  In fact, I think it feels better since I started lightly running.  YES!!!

So of course my next step is to get a training plan in place and get a race under my belt.  I am particularly keen to do this so that when the fall semester starts back up hopefully I will keep at my training and not get completely engulfed by my job and give up again.

The very first time I signed up to run a 5K, back when I was a grad student at the University at Buffalo I found the "Novice 5K" training plan that Hal Higdon had at his web site online.  Since then I have used his plans to complete numerous 5Ks, a 15K, a half marathon and a marathon.  They have never let me down!

It's time to get back out onto the road and get my running base started, so back out comes the Novice 5K training program!  And just my luck, the first true training run starts on a Tuesday so I didn't miss one! HAHAHA

His training programs can be accessed here.

Here's my 5K Novice training program:
Hal Higdon's 5k Novice Training Program
1.5 miles in the books!  I'm training for a race again (now I just need to find a race)!!!


I put my RoadID back on!  Now to find my heart rate monitor... Hmmmmm 

Thanks for reading! :)

#bloggingmom #halhigdon #running #goals #RoadID

MamaK is trying to blog with bowling ball baby on her lap... :P


2 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration! You are so good about sensibly training for events. Not my forte, but you set such a good example of how slow and steady training works. I started rowing last fall and am signed up for two races in July. Never too late to start a training plan, right? Looking forward to hearing how your training progresses. If you are racing near Rochester, let me know and I will come cheer you on.

    BTW when I looked at the training plan it looked as if you were running 1.5 meters. Then I noticed it was miles. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably will run a race in Rochester someday! I will be sure to let you know (hopefully I will remember :P). My brother and his family live in the Rochester area.

      I seem to get injured if I don't go the very slow way to training. I would love to just say, "OK I'm running a marathon in 4 months", but I just can't. I would end up with all sorts of issues with chronic pain.

      I laughed out loud at your misinterpretation of 1.5 miles for meters. It feels like I can only go 1.5 meters sometimes! hahahahaha! Thanks for reading and leaving me a comment! :)

      Delete