Now on Twitter!

You can follow me now on twitter as well @kdpotter25

Sunday, September 29, 2013

6 Miles. Fast!

I'm so excited to be writing about this past week.

I concluded my weekday workouts with Zumba on Wednesday night (LOVE) and then a really nice 5 mile run Thursday morning.  I was worried I would not be even close to my great pace Tuesday, but I beat it!  I finished 5 in 51:42, which is just faster than Tues. with a 10:19min/mile pace.  Amazed!

I guess I was feeling particularly energetic this week because I went to Zumba Thursday night and had a blast.  I wanted to fit in another workout, but this weekend was Darren's first birthday! and I just knew I would not fit my Sat. morning Zumba class in.  I was surprised that I didn't feel dead after Zumba and was only slightly sore Friday morning in my quads.

I relaxed Friday and Saturday.  Darren was very cute eating his cake at his party Sat. :)  What a blessing to be able to celebrate these milestones with our babies.


Today for my long run Hal Higdon suggests a 10K at race pace.  I don't really know what my race pace is but I really was dreaming about 10 minute miles -especially after my 9:30ish min/mile 5K a few weeks ago.  I broke the 10K down to 6 miles just for the mental edge of trying to beat an hour doing 6 miles at 10 minutes/mile.

The long and short is that I did it!!!  I finished 6 miles in 59:59!!! Only 1 second to spare!  I think I was "sprinting" the last quarter mile watching the clock.  I was pretty sure if I pulled it all out I just might make it.  I am so happy!

The first mile felt pretty good, but I was just sure I would never be able to hold the pace.  I felt even more sure I would crash and burn after the second.  I just kept telling myself to keep it going.  I pushed from my glutes as much as I could and kept my arms going.

I tried to just keep thinking about my movement and breath.  I was in an in for 2 steps, out for 1 step, in for 1 step, out for 1 step breath almost from the beginning.  I usually run with in 3 steps out for 2 steps, but that wasn't enough to push me through a 10 minute mile.

I meant to wear my heart rate monitor, but I also was trying to get out of the house as quickly as I could so that I could get back to the kids and Tom.

I feel great.   YAY!  

Have a great week everyone and thank you for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment