Now on Twitter!

You can follow me now on twitter as well @kdpotter25

Thursday, May 1, 2014

The April Recap

Well, that month went by quickly!  

One of my goals is to run a race every month this year.  This month I did a virtual Easter 2014 race. Even though I got a medal and ran the race and submitted my time to the website, it just doesn't feel the same as going to an actual event and having people around you and a set course.  I think the rest of the year I should be able to find actual "events".  Many of my upcoming months already have at least one race event planned. 

My other main goal is to run at least 40 miles/month.  I am VERY proud to say that I ran 101.7 miles this month!  Amazing!  This is amazing to me especially considering the amount of training runs that I missed.  I was sick for an entire week and missed 5 training runs this month.  I also shortened 4 runs because of illness or extreme fatigue.  My cold is still lingering in my head and my ear is still messed up from the rupture, but it only bothers me occasionally.  Hopefully another couple weeks and it will be a distant memory.

Another thing I am happy about this month is that I'm starting to get a handle on being "sick" during and after running.  I have not had a problem since the beginning of the month.  Voodoo perhaps but I have been adding Bragg's apple cider vinegar to my water during the day and I really think that somehow this has helped my GI tract.  Also, I have switched to electrolyte water instead of plain water and it seems to pass through my stomach faster.  I think I was getting close to hyponatremia, where you dilute out the salts in your blood.  A big symptom is nausea and vomiting after a long run.  Since switching to the electrolyte (Nuun) water I feel 'fine' after long runs.  I've also cut down on the amount of water I drink while out running to also prevent hyponatremia.  If I feel nausea my thought is to drink something, but actually I should not and instead try to eat something and it really has helped so much.  

There is so much to learn about running!  Thankfully I can learn about most of it on a need-to-know basis.  

No comments:

Post a Comment