Now on Twitter!

You can follow me now on twitter as well @kdpotter25

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The Plan (as of now)

I've been all over the place in my mind this morning.  I think I really should try to do another 20 mile run, but now it's pretty late in the training to do a really long run.  

On one hand I want to do the distance to show myself that the marathon is going to be OK (mental toughness).

On the other hand I am shortening my taper time so that I will only  have two weeks for my muscles to heal and for my glycogen (sugar) stores in my muscles to build up (physical toughness).  However, if I don't push a really long run my muscles won't store up as much glycogen and I will likely hit "the wall" much earlier in the race.    

I would rather show up a little fatigued than mentally afraid that I can't do the distance.

I think my best plan is to rest completely today and tomorrow and then try the 20 on Friday.  Then I will have to make the taper a little more gentle than what is already outlined in the Novice 1 training program.  Also, I am going to really focus on eating very nutritious foods and lots of complex carbohydrates.  Bring on the veggeis, fruit, brown rice and oatmeal!

I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment