Now on Twitter!

You can follow me now on twitter as well @kdpotter25

Friday, March 20, 2015

Being a novice pregnant runner

I'm not exactly "green" when it comes to running now.  I've participated in many races all the way up to a marathon.  It definitely doesn't make me an expert on the subject but I think I'm somewhere in the 'advance beginner' or 'competent' stage of the Dreyfus Model of skill acquisition.  What I'm not so sure of is being a pregnant runner.

I have stayed active and included running in all three of my pregnancies.  With my past two pregnancies I was at the more beginner stages of running and really pregnancy doesn't last that long and it is always changing so it is hard to get into a running rhythm.  That has been the case this time even though I'm a more seasoned runner.  It is really hard to anticipate how your first trimester will go.  I was absolutely miserable and I took it very easy on myself.  I wasn't eating regularly and I was absolutely exhausted.  This stage of my pregnancy also occurred during the deep, dark, and cold parts of winter -so that also made it more difficult to be active.  

When I was very newly pregnant I kept running like I had been and I told myself that I would use the treadmill when I couldn't run outside.  In my past pregnancies I have always avoided the treadmill because I was worried I might fall off.  I was convinced that I would not feel that way this time.  I've logged lots of miles on our treadmill, why not do it while pregnant?  But you  know what?  Just like all the past times I got this deep seated fear that I would fall off.  So, no treadmill runs.  Pregnancy is weird that way.  You can't really control it like you think you will be able to (or at least I can't).  

Now I'm in my second trimester and back on my game energy-wise.  I'm still not getting out there like I should.  My clothes don't really fit right and I feel like Goldilocks about the weather.  It has to be juuuuust right.  Also, going to Zumba has been so much fun that I've just been doing that.  This week our Zumba instructor is "ill" and I figured I had better drag out some of my workout DVDs... Bleh.  

Yesterday I put the Summer Sanders' Prenatal Workout in while Jeremy was at Pre-K.  It's a nice DVD, but the conversations between the trainers are a bit annoying.  I remember all of it from my past two pregnancies.  Maybe I should just turn the volume off. HA!


Then I ran two miles last night!  Yippee!  

This morning I put in my 10 Minute Solution Prenatal Pilates DVD.  You can do all 5, 10 minute groupings or pick any of the sections that you want in the order that you select.  I picked "standing pilates" -which I really liked, "core pilates" -which was fine but not very challenging, and "pilates for flexibility" -which was the most difficult section for me.  I guess I need to work on my flexibility -mostly the hamstrings, which made all the poses a bit tight and awkward.  I did not pick the "pilates for buns and thighs" or "total body pilates" sections.  To be honest my bum is a bit sore from yesterday so the buns and thighs sounded painful and unnecessary.


So that's about it from now from your novice pregnant runner!  Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment