Now on Twitter!

You can follow me now on twitter as well @kdpotter25

Thursday, April 18, 2013

A long walk, yoga, and another walk

I'm playing catch-up tonight because I didn't write last night (gasp).

Yesterday the weather was very nice up here in the great North.  I dragged the boys outside in the morning and strapped them into the double jog stroller and took them for a stroll around Morley in the daylight (on top of the training- this was an informal walk).  It was Darren's nap time, so he was very content in his hat and snowsuit to sleep.  Jeremy on the other hand was impatient for the ride to be over.  In his defense it was rather windy and in the low 40s.  He requested to have his sun shade pulled very low to shield the breeze, but I think it blocked most of his view and probably made for a very boring 40ish minutes.  We went at an easy pace.  It feels fast when you are pushing 90 extra pounds but it's really quite slow.  18 minute mile?

Before dinner I dashed off to the Yoga Loft in Canton for Vinyasa class.  We did a moon salutation sequence that was both challenging and full of very good inner thigh stretches.  My shoulders, upper arms and shoulder blades feel slightly sore, a testament to all of the downward dog positioning.  I surprised myself with how far I could relax into a simple seated forward fold over the legs.  Hopefully Yoga will both help my flexibility and work muscles otherwise forgotten.

Today was another great day, but not until the afternoon.  Warm!  but WINDY!  When Tom got home from work we played with the boys outside.  Darren was not a fan of the wind but it didn't bother Jeremy at all.  Both boys were ready for bed early and were in bed by 8.  I quickly got my gear on and headed out the door for a 2 mile power walk.  I headed off down the country road away from "town" hoping the light wouldn't fail by the time I returned.  I wasn't going to go outside because of the wind, but it didn't end up being a problem.  All of the trees lining the road acted as a nice buffer.  I also think I might have been too hot (gasp) without the breeze.  Imagine that.  Being hot outside!

I figure there will be plenty of days when I have to do my workout inside so unless it's absolutely not an option I should try to go outside.


Personal Update:  I'm feeling great!  Exercise is awesome.  Some of you may know that I was feeling pretty lousy for a while and it turned out to be postpartum anxiety and depression.  It was a strange experience and for anyone else that has had this problem I completely sympathize.  For anyone going through a mild case of mental illness I strongly suggest committing to an exercise program that gets you some "you" time and gets your heart pumping.  I also suggest listening to music you love while you do it.  Obviously seek the advice of someone that specializes in the treatment of mental illness as well!

Thanks for reading and happy what is left of Thursday!

Oh, and Darren, if you are reading this 30 years in the future, Thank you for finally sleeping through the night (I'm sure I just jinxed myself -love you to pieces anyway!)!


No comments:

Post a Comment