Now on Twitter!

You can follow me now on twitter as well @kdpotter25

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Training Program and Thank You

This is the training program I am currently following.  I nabbed it from SkinnyMs.com (an excellent site to check out btw).

http://skinnyms.com/running-schedule-for-absolute-beginners/

I skipped Monday's strength train.  Just wasn't feeling it.  Also, I ran my mile last night instead of power "cardio" walking as was suggested.  This was really mostly because I have signed up for a 5k on April 13th and I wanted to see just how big a mistake it was to sign up...  HA!  I think I'll survive!

If anyone has a better program they think I should use then feel free to pass it along!  I welcome all suggestions.



Also, feel free to pass my blog along to anyone you think would like to read and help motivate me or be motivated themselves!

Better yet make a blog yourself about your personal goal and I'll follow you on your journey!


I have already been overwhelmed by the support and positive feedback I have received from my friends and family.  Thank you so much for your emails, comments and texts!  I can do this!

3 comments:

  1. here's the training plan I used last spring:

    http://blog.gomogo.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/16-week-training-schedule.pdf

    It doesn't have any cross-training though, so I would throw that in a couple of times a week.
    Two things about training on a treadmill: 1. make sure you use an incline of 1.0-2.0 to better simulate running outside, 2. you will be alot faster running outside so don't let your mph treadmill speed deflate you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey kristine! congrats on taking the plunge into running! it's not easy to get into and enjoy, so don't get discouraged if you don't enjoy your scheduled runs for the first few weeks, eventually you will look forward to them. a few recommendations that i have for you: 1. make sure you have the correct running shoes; 2. for shorter runs on the treadmill, i suggest trying high intensity interval training.

    Running shoes - these will be your best friend or your worst enemy. i recommend going to a running store and being fitted for a pair of shoes. they will diagnose your running patterns - are you a pronator or supinator, and recommend a shoe that has the correct sole. this can and will prevent you from injuring yourself. these injuries always happen when you start running longer distances. on that note, another warning... if you're running in rural settings, without sidewalks, make sure you run up on the flat surface of the road, don't run on the sloped shoulders of the road. having one foot hit the ground lower than the other can cause painful injuries.

    H.I.I.T. - people may think i'm crazy for recommending high intensity interval training, but i've found that doing HIIT on shorter runs in the treadmill has helped with my cardio capacity when i'm running outside. a nice side effect is that is also increased my outdoor running speed, and its a great way to burn fat. Below, I've included a sample HIIT treadmill workout that I do. Other people also change the incline on the treadmill during the workout. You probably want to start out at lower speeds, but this is generally how I set up the workout, just so you have a guideline.

    6.5 mph, 5 minutes, warm up
    7.5 mph, 1 minute
    6.5 mph, 2 minutes
    8.0 mph, 1 minute
    7.0 mph, 2 minutes
    Repeat steps 2-5, 5 times
    6.5 mph, 5 minutes, cool down

    finally, I've used Hal Higdon's training programs in the past and have really liked them. He has training programs for pretty much very type of race (up to marathon length). check it out! http://www.halhigdon.com/training/

    good luck! let me know if you have any questions :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I used Hal Higdon for my first 5K way back in the day.
    Bill: I do believe I will have to start at slower speeds! I don't think I could even sustain 6.5 for more than 15 seconds right now and I think 8.0 might fling me right off! Definitely something to work towards.

    ReplyDelete