Now on Twitter!

You can follow me now on twitter as well @kdpotter25

Friday, April 5, 2013

Failing to plan is planning to fail

Today is a rest day.  I rested!

I am trying to plan what I will do in my schedule to cross train and try to keep myself from being injured.  Thank you Bill for the comments about shoes and HITS.  I started reading a book about HITS while I was pregnant.  I'll have to see if I can find it.  I'm pretty sure it was on my Kindle.  

For now I'm going to stick with the SkinnyMs training plan.  The basic outline is as follows:

Monday: strength train; my plan is something quick and effective focusing on really good form because this is the day after my "long run".  Also, I will not be at a gym.  I do have weights and resistance bands if someone has additional exercises I should consider.  
10 Push Ups
20 Ab Crunches
30 Squats
40 Lunges (20 on each leg)
50 Jumping Jacks
60 Second Wall Sit

Tuesday: run

Wednesday: short run (maybe a good day for HITS?, Yoga? see below...) 

Thursday: Long run + strength train (as outlined above)

Friday: Rest  (Hallelujah!!!)

Saturday: 60 min cross train = ZUMBA baby!!!

Sunday: Really really long run

Questions for my loyal followers and running experts:
1) Do you have a warm-up routine?  Do you only use it for long run day?  

2) Stretching; before the run?  after?  Effective stretches?  Essential stretches?

Speaking of stretching; I would like to incorporate a yoga class into my week.  I know I'm not 100% "balanced", particularly because I've been carrying heavy bags and children for years and years.  I think a yoga class could really go a long way for me.  There is an "active" class I am interested in offered on Wednesdays at a time I think I can work into the family schedule.  Thoughts on whether just adding it on top of what is outlined above would be ok? In addition to the short run?  I guess if the class is super active and kicks my butt, as I fully expect it to, I will forgo the short run until I'm in better shape?

1 comment:

  1. Last year I had 3 different bouts of tendonitis, all in different places, and the last put me in the walking cast for 2 months, so I've learned a thing our to about how to prevent this. Here are my answers to your questions plus general tips I do to stay injury free.

    1. Stretching of course is important before and after. For long runs, you're suppose to be going slow so I stretching before isn't as important as afterwards (same is true for warm up/cool down jogs). You MUST, MUST, MUST warm up jog/stretch before HITS, pickups, etc.
    2. As for speed training, i.e., HIT, pickups, you really shouldn't be worrying too much about that yet. In the beginning the two most important things are to perfect your form (this will keep you injury free and allow you to do very long runs) and getting your joints/tendons used to the repetitive motions and pounding through the gradual increase in mileage and the long Sunday runs. A rule of thumb is to never increase your weekly mileage by more than 10% each week.
    3. Get a roller to roll out your tendons and muscles. This thing is really painful when you have knots but it works wonders on tendons. I'm more faithful to this than stretching.
    4. After run longs or speed workouts, keep your legs elevated and DO NOT take a hot bath/shower. You want to keep any swelling down in your joints.
    5. As I'm sure Bill mentioned, you should get fitted for good shoes. Someone should analyze your gait to suggest the right pair for you. Do not keep shoes for more than 300 miles.
    6. Compression pants/socks are awesome for long distance runs as it keeps the swelling down and takes some of the burden off your joints.

    That's probably about it for now.

    I am planning on coming up April 20th so I will bring my running stuff so we can go on a job!

    Good luck outrunning the zombies : )

    ReplyDelete